Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grilled Eggplant with Yoghurt

I made this the other night as an attempt to redeem myself with my friend for forgetting her birthday.
It is based on a Claudia Roden recipe.

Grilled Eggplant and Zuchini with Yoghurt
Eggplant
zuchini
plain yoghurt
homemade tomato based pasta sauce
garlic
olive oil
mint
1.Slice the eggplant and zuchini length ways
2. Mash olive oil salt and garlic, if you do it vigorously enough the whole thing emulsifies and turns into a creamy, mayonnaise type sauce.
3.Rub the veges in the garlic mixture
4. cook the veges on a hot grill (I did mine on the bar-b-que)
5. Lay them out on a platter (with a huge hunk of deliciously charred meat done on the bbq at the same time)
6. Dollop generously with tomato sauce and then yoghurt.
7.Sprinkle with finely chopped mint and several good glugs of olive oil

This is one of those dishes that ascend far beyond the sum of their parts. It is very easy, totally delicious and, (I think) elegant in a rustic kind of way.
Shannon
Ps . my friend forgave me , but I also made Rosewater Meringues with Grand Marnier custard for dessert!

4 comments:

klineola said...

Sounds delicious!! We had a back yard full of mint, but the frost has done it in. Maybe there is some near the house. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I'm on it!

Linda Starr said...

sounds wonderful, I love eggplant.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful Shannon, simple & easy.

Amanda said...

Sounds yummy! I love anything middle eastern. Now how about that recipe for rosewater meringues...?