Monday, March 17, 2008

the medium is the message




These baskets are by Irish artist Lizzie Farey.


She says of her work
" I have a fascination with living things and natural form. For me, willow has become a medium for an interaction with nature that is deeply personal."



"On the Wing 2"

I feel that Lizzie has summed up my own feelings about nature.



I interact through porcelain, Lizzie interacts through willow. For both of us the medium and the message strengthen each other. That is something that craft has which art often bypasses. Through the craftsmanship and skill in making the medium of the craft artist becomes an intrinsic part of the message making a very strong piece where all the technical an formal elements combine to articulate the message- in this case the mysterious, unknowable beauty of the living world.

No comments: