Thursday, July 28, 2011

Music




I've been listening to Gillian Welch's "The Harrow and the Harvest" in the studio. It is as beautiful as her previous album "The Revelator" which Trevor and I listened to everyday for a year when we first bought it.

There is some music that is only for certain times (like "How Bizarre" for the summer of 96) and other music that has kept me going through some very hard times. When the first measured, calm notes drawn across the cello strings of Bach's Cello Suites sound out I remember all the times I've listened to this music. I've listened when I'm upset, when I'm happy, I heard Trevor play it thousands of times on the trumpet as a warm up when he used to practice for gigs, I listened to this music single and now when I'm a mother. I love Bach's cello suites so much I hope I'm listening to them when I'm old.


Here is a list of some of the timeless, music that I carry with me for every occasion
"River" Joni Mitchell- for Christmas and anytime you need comforting

"Greetings to the New Brunette" Billy Bragg- for taking you back to the years of Doc Martins and vintage dresses.

"My Funny Valentine" Chet Baker- Reminds me of when I first saw Trev at a gig, singing his heart out with funny lyrics. Unfortunately as he is a mumbler no-one in the audience could understand them, but the band was laughing!

"Nadine " Chuck Berry- first heard the quintessentially American song when I was travelling around Europe.

"Gymnopedie -No 1" Eric Satie- this piece reminds me of water

37.2 Le Matin" Gabriel Yared

"I Dream a Highway" Gillian Welch

"Flamenco Sketches " Miles Davis

"Tracks of My Tears" The Miracles

"Sex" The Necks- for long summer afternoons just as good in bed as out.

"Heart of Gold" Neil Young- This is a song from my childhood . I love the yearning regret in Young's voice.

"My Baby Just Cares For Me" Nina Simone

"Only the Lonely" Roy Orbison

"Come on Up to the House" Tom Waits

"New Favourite" Alison Krauss

2 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

We have the same songs on our playlist! Well almost. I got Gillian's new album last week. I'm with you on "River"... not just Christmas music. It's way up there on my hit parade. This was a fun post. Thanks!

ems art said...

Wonderful Shannon! Just got my first Gillian Welch album and LOVE it to make to! The rest of your list is such a beautiful mix too!